Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Day One...


We are usually the nut jobs that take the morning flight at the most ungodly hour available~ usually the 5:45am flight out! This time, however, I did manage to use what is left of my brain power and book us on a mid-morning flight. Even with packing as much as possible the night before, and even with Josh and I being up at 5:30 am to allow plenty of time to get ready and finish packing, we were still somewhat rushing out the door to get to the airport in time!

I was obsessed with the TSA site to make sure I had everything packed properly for carry-on. I had my one-qt ziploc bag of my own liquids (yes, we checked bags. But I have a fear of getting stuck somewhere overnight so I always pack some essentials in my carry-on!), none over 3oz. Then I had Eileen's bag of essentials - also none over 3oz. And of course there was a separate ziplock bag of her formula (2oz bottles) and juice (4oz bottles) and benadryl (6oz bottle!). It was OK for me to have some of her liquids over the 3oz limit, and all were in orginal unsealed packaging - but even still- not only did it have to go thru the xray, it was also photographed. The TSA folks were very nice about it all- I am sure it helped b.c of my obsessive preparation- but this is an example of why it takes ages to get thru security- b.c the TSA people have to take pictures of Benadryl and Apple Juice. (of course, I of all people, understand why this has to be done, and I am certainly not knocking security measures, but it still boggles the mind).

We made it thru security, hung out in the terminal. Let Eileen crawl around as much as possible to try and burn up some energy! Josh was quite excited to now be part of the early boarders - "those with small children who may need extra time to board the plane." Flight from Knoxville to DC was a small plane, slightly cramped, but a good flight none the less. There was an 18month old in front of us who provided Eileen with a lot of entertainment.

In my booking prowess, I somehow only allowed 45 minutes between flights in DC. But Luck was on my side! We actually landed in DC early. That was cool..we could see the Capitol building, the Washington and Lincoln monuments. We flew over Arlington and the WWII memorial. I have not been to DC since I was 13; can't wait to take Eileen there someday. So we scarfed down some airport food (my $8 turkey sandwich was just divine) and had a quick diaper change and were off to the next flight.

The beauty of the DC to Boston flight was that it was the commuter shuttle. So you have a planeful of people who travel regularly. Translation: they know how to get on and off a plane quickly and effieciently. They know NOT to get up to go to the restroom as the plane is taxiing out of the gate (and therefore stop all action as we know it). They know not to use cell phones and ipods during takeoff and landing. Really, a pleasant experience. We had a whole row to ourselves which was nice for spreading out. As you see in teh first picture, Eileen passed out in my arms. That was right after she learned she could raise and lower the window shade. Mommy stopped that little activity right away b.c it was loud and I didn't want to be that parent!

We made it to Boston, got our bags amazingly fast. Grandpa and Beanie had already gone on to the rental car place and were heading back to the terminal to get us. Delta managed to lose Grandpa's luggage (but not Beanie's- how does that happen?!).

What should have been a quick trip to New Hampshire turned into a traffic jam, but we eventually made it there. Eileen got a tad fussy but nothing a bottle couldn't fix! Granpa and Daddy went to the store to get some baby food and beer (nice) and of course I forgot to tell them to get diapers. I mean, that's like forgetting to get gas at the gas station!!! At least I had enough to get through to the morning. We went on to the rehearsal dinner.. I really didn't know if we'd stay long b.c I wasn't sure how long Eileen would hold up.

HA! She's a regular club kid! She was in high spirits.. fascinated watching her older cousins run around.. fascinated by Uncle Dick - he appears to have hung the moon in her world! She had a blast hanging out with Nick and Dan (bottom picture). Nick tickled her and made her giggle just like his dad used to do to me when I was a baby! Funny how things go in cycles like that. Nick (who will be 15 in November) said he felt old b.c he sees how big Jack (5) and Emma (also 5) are. HA! I remember when Nick was born, and now he's taller than me by a head and has a girlfriend. Talk about old. (heehee.. but his dad is still older than me! love ya Bob!) There was a big dance area and Eileen had free reign to move all around the floor (while managing to avoid the 5year olds running around!). She also was a fan of crawling UNDER the tables. That was stopped as quickly as it was started!

Anyway, it was well after 10pm by the time we got back to the hotel. Eileen was no worse for the wear. She was still giggling and ready to play! But the minute I put the bottle in her mouth, she passed out. She was not a fan of sleeping in the pack-n-play provided by the hotel. Since we had a king-size bed, we let her sleep with us. Sometimes it's just easy that way. And it's just so sweet to wake up and she's next to you. And now, in the middle of the night, she has a habit of rolling over andputting her arm around my (or Josh's ) neck. Words really can't to justice to how sweet that is.

So that was Day One. Up early.. plane rides.. car rides.. meeting most of her extended family on Grandpa's side... and then crashing with Mommy and Daddy in a really really big bed. Does it get any better?!

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Kim said...

sounds like eileen just might take to traveling...music to parents ears, right?! what a little cutie pie trooper she is. :)